With the capital expense of owning, servicing and supporting a dictation-transcription document management system, along with the cost of managing the transcription payroll and staff, most healthcare facilities in the United States have chosen to outsource all or a portion of their clinical documentation needs to one or more medical transcription service organizations. Selecting the best medical transcription service provider for your practice is vital because it will have a substantial impact on the efficiency of your healthcare service I.e. timely billing, patient care, physician satisfaction, HIPAA Compliance and Joint Commission accreditation.
It is important that the medical transcription service organization be focused on a partnership with your healthcare facility. Each facility has unique characteristics that require a collaborative effort between both parties towards providing quality, integrity and timeliness of the patient record. Additional characteristics that should be considered are:
1. Innovative Technology: is the company financially stable to provide your facility with technology that is current for today’s marketplace? Technical infrastructure is important to keep pace with customer demands. As more facilities move towards an Electronic Health Record (EHR) a company that can provide the integration to the EHR along with the tools for physicians and staff to navigate the system to be able track activities is invaluable.
2. Billing Methodologies: understanding the multiple billing methodologies that occur within the transcription industry can be a confusing process. When making a billing comparison, be sure that you are comparing apples to apples and request the counting methodologies be clearly defined, demonstrate-able and verifiable.
3. Years of experience: enquire how long the service provider has been in the business of medical transcription. Can they provide client testimonials? Seeking other happy customers will illuminate the history of the company and the experience in has in providing excellent medical transcription services to others.
4. HIPPA compliance: security procedures should comply with all federal and state mandates and with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) for their people as well as their processes. They should also guarantee HIPAA compliance and security when it comes to handling the protected health information (PHI).
5. Client Services: technical support staff should be available 24x7x365 should any issues arise after hours. When you have an issue you should be able to work it out as it occurs not days later. Healthcare facilities have been known to waste valuable time waiting on a resolution to their issues.
Technology advances in clinical documentation have enabled medical transcription service organizations to provide a more complete patient story that can be utilized by all departments within the Health Information Ecosystem of your facility.
At Fast Chart, we are committed to hiring only domestically-located Medical Transcriptionists that meet our rigorous standards and training. Fast Chart continually strives to enhance excellence standards through a systems approach of sharing quality and performance improvement strategies. Fast Chart prides itself on providing quality, accurate outsourced medical transcription services to meet each client’s increasing documentation demands to support billing reimbursement, and the need for more data. Feel free to call our office toll free: 1-800-334-6606 with any questions.